Monday, May 29

Hoodies

Early this morning I had to pick up from what I thought was a dodgy place. My screen just said school field Dalton and when I got there I could see nobody about, and was just about to give up when four lads appeared as if from nowhere. They all wore hoodies with most of their faces covered and looked dishevelled, I was half inclined to drive off but I decided to chance it. They all climbed in the cab and they asked to go to Askam which was about a £7 pound fare. I was pleasantly surprised when they paid up front and turned out to be a nice bunch of lads well spoken polite and friendly. So I guess it’s true sometimes you can’t always go by appearances.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you truly can't tell a book by it's cover. It is a scary job you have sometimes. There are many cabbies robbed or killed each year here in the states. So you are coming to Florida - for holiday? Be careful - everyone here carries a gun or two!

Anonymous said...

I happened upon your blog by accident and as it happens I was born in Barrow. My family immigrated to Canada in the mid 50s. So I enjoyed reading many of your entries and was especially interested in your travelogues about the Barrow area and people. The photo you have of Rampside hall on your Rural Day entry really grabbed my attention because
I took a photo of that hall in 1977 from almost the same spot. However it shows only 5 windows and a door which is quite different from your picture. When I asked about the 12 chimneys I was told that a local girl of great beauty let it be known that she would marry the first man to build her a house with 12 chimneys (meaning a 12 room house since each room had a fireplace in those days) so an enterprising man built the house with 12 chimneys but only one worked. Bound by her word she married him. True? I doubt it but it did make for an interesting tale over a pint on a warm summer day in 1977.

bob mullen said...

Tuffenuf last time I was there I never had a squeak out of that Mickey and that Sylvester was just a pussy cat. We have Clubs here were they search u for weapons on entry and if they find nowt they lend you one,

bob mullen said...

Len Great story their are a few differant ones about the hall have u had a look at www.southlakes-uk.co.uk this site is for ex Barrovians with lots of pics and a message board. If u want any pics of anywhere local give me a shout and I will do my best.