Sunday, July 6

Too Pink?



A local Barrow taxi driver has had a serious complaint made about her car. She was told to take it to the Town Hall where the evidence was photographed for a decision to be made by council licensing officers. Pretty serious stuff huh! But what was the complaint, which was made anonymously direct to the Town Hall by someone all about, to justify being taken this seriously? Was the car filthy or smelly or worse still, in a dangerous condition? Were the tyres bald or the steering faulty; did a spring from the upholstery pierce some passengers butt? Well surprisingly it was none of those. The person had complained because the taxi was in their opinion TOO PINK! What sort of miserable sad sack would go to the trouble of writing and complaining that a taxi was TOO PINK? Maybe someone with way too much time on their hands or maybe some macho type guy who didn't like the idea of riding in it because it would make him unsure of his own masculinity. The taxi in question has been personalized by one of our lady drivers, who has a soft spot for the Pink Panther cartoon character. Pink accessories inside include a steering wheel cover, seat belt protectors and furry dice. Most folk wouldn't find it over the top or too garish in any way and lots of her fares, especially the young and the young at heart love to ride in the Pink Panther.
We drivers spend the majority of the day in our taxis and some like to add the odd personal touch to the cab to brighten up the place and make it feel more homely. In my opinion anyone who can seriously object to this must surely have big problems in their own sad grey little lives.

14 comments:

Lou said...

I must say I wouldn't want to get in a car with a pink steering wheel cover and furry dice.
I've seen a few women with those on their car and IMHO they're an embarrassment to female drivers :(

Paradise Driver said...

What a waste of the taxpayers money.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,
Was just wondering; is that your Skoda Superb parked next to the 'pink panther' in the first shot?
I drive a private hire superb in blackpool and find it excellent for the job!

Inactive said...

Some people are such miserable, boring killjoys! Makes you wonder what sad lives they lead that they feel it necessary to fight against anyone else being cheerful.

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of pink myself, but would still find it amusing, certainly nothing to complain about!

Hope you guys win, and show the council up for the time and money wasters they are - though of course that's the very reason why they'll probably uphold the complaint...

bob mullen said...

Jane: Bet you wouldn't say that if
you were cold and wet and this was the taxi that come to pick you up after a night on the beer.

bob mullen said...

Wil: Must say I agree,but I guess that if a complaint is made it must be followed up.

bob mullen said...

Anon: No it's the Octavia mate, but it does look very like the superb but some say not as heavy on fuel.

bob mullen said...

Deryk: Yes I agree with every word you say. Not too keen on pink myself but it's the principal eh! But then again two of my favorite things are pink, think about it!.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bob, the superb isn't mine (I'm not that wealthy) so fuel is deducted before I see any wages so the octavia is probably a better bet in the long run; I first started cabbing in a montego, enough said!
Anyway, love your blog, it really helps me make sense of day to day life getting paid by the mile not by the minute.
Remember, if the wheels are turning, your earning.

Lou said...

Ahh but that would never happen Bob, I dont drink, so I always drive. If not Shanks' Pony has always done me well :)

NYC taxi photo said...

well said, it adds character to the cab, and perhaps it builds character for the rider who has to suck it up and sit in it.

anyway it's not like it's minnie mouse, it's the pink panther, and the pink panther is awesome.

bob mullen said...

Jane:Lucky you eh!
Guess you'll never get to ride in the Pink Panther.

bob mullen said...

Lucky:Yep your right the Pink Panther is awesome.

Anonymous said...

I love pink panther. My home office walls are pink, pp curtains, clock, memorobilla, pp hanging from ceiling. My license plate on my car is pinky (USA) and I am looking for the steering wheel cover etc. So, i love the idea.