Tuesday, February 26

Death Road

We tend to moan about the state of our local roads, no matter where we live in the world, but if we had to travel this highway of hell every day we would have something to moan about eh! Commonly referred to as “Death Road”, the only route western route into La Paz, Bolivia, this road gets its name from its extreme nature. Narrowing to only five or six feet in certain areas with a total elevation drop of 3000m in only 80km, Death Road has certainly earned its reputation. Fatalities can exceed over 100 annually. The road is frighteningly tight, slippery and extremely bumpy thanks to a scattering of rocks on its surface. Despite all of the danger, the scenery is breathtaking. The beautiful waterfalls easily draw the driver’s attention away from the 400m drops over the edge. Surprisingly, the majority of the traffic fatalities are a result of head-on collisions rather than falls. At the height of its infamy, Death Road averaged 400 deaths per year. Mmm not for me thanks, I wouldn't use it, not even at double the usual fare.

7 comments:

bigbikerbob said...

No thanks Bob, I get sick over the canal bridge !!!!.

Roy, Dublin Taxi Driver said...

holy shit, can I say that? HOLY HOLY

Paradise Driver said...

No freakin' way!

That ripping sound you'd hear is my o'kole sucking up the seat cover.

Peggy said...

There is no way I'd go on that road! I'd much prefer the Road of Dullness.

Jeff said...

Come back A590 - all is forgiven !

Lugosi said...

That would be a heck of place to get a flat.

OC salseros said...

Hi.. I took the mountain bike ride on this road check my photo album I have nice pictures.
http://www.inquisivi.com/mtnbike/
I have videos of the ride too!!