Friday, August 25

Beach Bums




During the summer months especially on a Sunday morning, I seem to pick leftover party goers up from the so called all night beach parties that take place mainly in the Earnsie Bay area. This is a beautiful area with long stretches of often empty beaches and a huge nature reserve with many rare species within the sand hills including ,so they tell me up to 25% of the country's rare Natterjack toad population. On my day off I had a walk down there and yes the beach was deserted and pristine as usual, but walking back through the sand hills you can't help but see what a mess these weekend party animals are leaving (animals being the operative word). Broken glass and empty cans, and much worse, some of it being a health hazard, and lots of remains from fires dotted among the sand hills. With this being such an important local amenity why do we let this happen? surely local police, coastguards and wardens should be keeping an eye out for this lot at the weekend and if not why not?

5 comments:

Dogbait said...

Great photos. Well, two of them. You don't have a monopoly on crap behaviour. As they say, we're the only animal species that destroys it's own environment.

bob mullen said...

Very true DB but as for the it's the subject that make them great scenery like this speaks for itself.

Anonymous said...

"surely local police, coastguards and wardens should be keeping an eye out for this lot at the weekend and if not why not" The British police seem to be becoming an invisible and totally ineffective entity. Invisible - there does not appear to be a police presence anymore. Count the time between seeing policemen and it is scary. I was in New York about 18 months ago and you could not go 30 minutes (if that) without seeing a policeman. When I was a boy on Walney I dare not ride my bike at night for fear of being pulled up by a policeman and sure as fate if I did I got caught. Ineffective - this kind of yob behaviour seems to be given the blind eye. The police spend plenty of time catching motorists especially parking fines. If I let my car go over the time limit there is about an 80% probability that I will get a ticket, so boy I watch my watch. Those yobs at Earnsie Bay have no such apprehension probability attached to what they're doing and that is the problem.

Cabbie X said...

I drive cab in Eugene, Oregon, and the police comment caught my eye. There is a very heavy police presence here, they just don't bother with crime short of the very serious stuff. They seem to spend all their time writing DUI (drunk driving) citations, as those generate 2-5 thousand per in fines for the city/county. It's ALL about revenue generation here.

Hell, several years ago, our District Attorney was quoted in the local paper saying his office would no longer prosecute ANY non-violent property crime. It was an open-season declaration to the local addict population.

Hope it never gets that bad in your neck of the woods.

bob mullen said...

Cabbie x I hope so too I will add a link to your blog some good stuff there