Tuesday, March 4

Sober Weekend

Over the weekend I picked up a visiting young Asian couple from Barrow's railway station and took them to a local hotel. They were just staying for a couple of days and asked me what they should do and see. Of course I told them all about Furness Abbey, the Dock Museum and Dalton Wildlife Park. Then they asked me about the local nightlife and I started to list all our local fleshpots. After I had given them the long list of pubs and nightclubs, they asked a question which completely threw me. "We don't drink alcohol at all" they informed me "are these places OK for non drinkers?" Now we have to admit that Barrow is a hard drinking town and younger folk’s idea of a night out involves gallons of booze. So apart from the movies there was nowhere else that I could recommend to them which wouldn't involve alcohol. But they said they would risk it and soberly throw themselves to the tender mercies of Barrow's Gaza strip, and then the boat afterwards, and hope for the best. By sheer chance I happened to pick them up the next day after they had enjoyed a visit to our local wildlife park. I of course asked them how the big night out on the town went. They both started to laugh and said it was great and “it was exactly the same as going round the zoo that they had just visited." So there you have it, next time you want an entertaining evening stay sober and check out the wildlife in the pubs and clubs of Barrow.


5 comments:

Roy, Dublin Taxi Driver said...

SHEEEESH I really fancied the one on the left!

Peggy said...

There must be SOMETHING to do in Barrow at night that doesn't involve drink: Bingo, the pictures, um . . . bowling?

bob mullen said...

Roy: NO NO NO she's mine!

bob mullen said...

peggy: check the previous post.Bingo is big round here though, we pick up from there throughout the day.

bob mullen said...

peggy: check the previous post.Bingo is big round here though, we pick up from there throughout the day.