Monday, August 25

Twisted Logic


Well that's the last Bank holiday weekend of the summer over with, and the next stop before we know it will be Christmas. 
 The super Sunday turned out to be a bit of a late starter with most folk not going out until the evening and not as much of the usual rush up to Dalton for the traditional afternoon boozing. Maybe it had something to so with the closure of that popular watering hole the Wellington, which leaves a huge dry gap between pubs and also was the biggest best beer garden in the town. 
Barrow itself was busy though and I was kept busy ferrying drunks into town from the pubs and house parties in outlaying areas. One group of four lads got into the most bizarre conversation as I drove them into town. They were talking about the date of some sporting event and the year of 1970 was mentioned. The inebriated guy who was sprawled on the front seat piped up with “but that was before I was alive." His mates fell about laughing but the poor guy just couldn't understand what he had said wrong. "So you were dead then" his mates said mockingly. 
My sprawled out drunk thought about this for a minute or two and then with the twisted logic of drunks the world over, declared "well yes if I wasn't alive then I must have been dead back then." This went on for the rest of the ten minute ride into town but nothing his mates could say would convince the sprawling drunk that he hadn't been dead before he was born.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

I'm going to have to think about this for the rest of the day.

Anonymous said...

Not the Wellington gone now? What's going on?

Now both the Dalton pubs have gone that I went to when I came up this way from London twenty years ago - stayed at the Wellington, I did, and spent an evening in the Miners Arms at the top of the hill, chatting to somebody about the last ship to go down the old slipway.